These suggestions are from the perspective of stopping the cycle with the next generation in mind. If you do not have children, these remain useful for your own well-being and those around you.
- Acknowledge that an unhealthy generational cycle exists. Whoa! You’ve already broken denial!! Celebrate that!
- Identify the cycle and pay attention that there may be other cycles that reveal themselves as you go through this. An experienced trauma therapist is invaluable during this process.
- Decide that you want to change that pattern(s). Take on one pattern at a time to avoid overwhelm.
- Learn what healthy boundaries are and teach them to your children. There are lots of resources in libraries and online. Keep your own boundaries up – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual – you’re going to need them.
- Know that some family members are not going to like the change and be prepared for that.
You must be logged in to post a comment.